Bored of studying English?
Watching TV sitcoms is one of the best ways to improve your English vocabulary and to learn how to speak English more fluently.
There’s no better way to learn American slang and how people really talk.
Get ready to get in touch with “real” English–the English you hear on the streets or hear from your friends.
Why Learn English with Modern American Sitcoms?
Here are 10 reasons why modern American sitcoms should be a regular part of your English learning diet.
1. Sitcoms have more realistic contexts of the English language compared to English course books.
2. You’ll improve your conversational skills.
3. The English you hear in sitcoms is more likely to be everyday English – in other words it’s more real.
4. You’ll improve your listening skills as you’ll be able to hear a variety of different accents.
5. You’ll begin to learn and understand different cultural references that are made and feel more connected to a country and the language.
6. You’ll finally move closer towards understanding different kinds of humor.
7. When you’re a frequent watcher of one sitcom, you don’t have to continuously get to know new and different characters or plots like you would have to in a movie. Therefore you’ll be able to guess more and understand what’s being said through your background knowledge of the sitcom.
8. There’s more repetition of words and phrases in sitcoms which will help you understand them quicker.
9. Sitcoms are more predictable in other words you can guess easily what’s going to happen next therefore it’s easier to understand and follow the story.
10. If you find a great series that you really enjoy, you’ll end up getting addicted and forget that you’re even learning English.
11. You’ll pick up on cultural references and inside jokes among native speakers.
12. You can use TV as part of an at-home immersion environment, perhaps alongside a program designed for the task.