It's a simple fact of life that at some point, someone is going to ask you a question that you simply don't want to answer. Whether it's a job interviewer, an in-law, or a random stranger who doesn't know where to draw the line, there are a few things as frustrating as dealing with someone who feels entitled to knowing the details of your personal business.
10 Ways to Avoid Answering a Question
1. No comment.
2. I’m not at liberty to say. (= I don’t have permission to give the information)
3. Wait and see. (= you will discover the answer later)
4. Let me get back to you. (= I will give you the answer later)
5. I’m sorry, that’s confidential.
6. I’m sorry, that’s personal.
7. I’d rather not talk about it.
8. It’s none of your business.
9. Mind your own business.
10. Why do you want to know?
#8 and #9 are rather rude – telling the other person to stop inquiring about your life
Check your Score - Try our Free English Quiz + Get a Free Bonus